miércoles, 8 de enero de 2020

Past Continuous tense

Past continuous tense 


The past continuous is a verb tense which is used to show that an ongoing past action was happening at a specific moment of interruption, or that two ongoing actions were happening at the same time. Read on for detailed descriptions, examples, and past continuous exercises.



Past Continuous Forms

The past continuous is formed using was/were + present participle. Questions are indicated by inverting the subject and was/were. Negatives are made with not.


Statement: You were studying when she called.

Question: Were you studying when she called?
Negative: You were not studying when she called.

Here you can see a complete list of past contunuous forms: 

https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastcontinuousforms.html 


USE 1 Interrupted Action in the Past

Use the past continuous to indicate that a longer action in the past was interrupted. The interruption is usually a shorter action in the simple past. Remember this can be a real interruption or just an interruption in time.

Examples:
  • I was watching TV when she called.
  • When the phone rang, she was writing a letter.
  • I was listening to my iPod, so I didn't hear the fire alarm.
  • While John was sleeping last night, someone stole his car.
  • Sammy was waiting for us when we got off the plane.
USE 2 Specific Time as an Interruption

In USE 1, described above, the past continuous is interrupted by a shorter action in the simple past. However, you can also use a specific time as an interruption.

Examples:
  • Last night at 6 PM, I was eating dinner.
  • At midnight, we were still driving through the desert.
  • Yesterday at this time, I was sitting at my desk at work.
IMPORTANT

In the simple past, a specific time is used to show when an action began or finished. In the past continuous, a specific time only interrupts the action.

Examples:
  • Last night at 6 PM, I ate dinner.
  • I started eating at 6 PM.
USE 3 Parallel Actions

When you use the past continuous with two actions in the same sentence, it expresses the idea that both actions were happening at the same time. The actions are parallel.

Examples:
  • I was studying while he was making dinner.
  • While Ellen was reading, Tim was watching television.
  • Were you listening while he was talking?
  • I wasn't paying attention while I was writing the letter, so I made several mistakes.
Here you can practice everything you've learned before.




10 comentarios:

  1. Hey nicco! I like how you have designed the blog.it is absolutely attractive and I consider students will enjoy working on it. Moreover,the activities are easily to comprehend and adapted to your students. I love it :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Josue, thank you very much for your comment, I will try to improve more and more so that you continue enjoying my content.

      Eliminar
  2. Your blog is well designed, the explanation and the information is very good. However, I thing that it is a little difficult to see the words, you should increase the size of it and add more information.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you very much for your observation Maria Belen, I will take your suggestion very seriously and try to increase the size of the text to facilitate the reading of the content of this blog.

      Eliminar
  3. hey, Nico I liked all the information that you provided to your students it is comprehensible and well written. However I would like you to add tutorial videos and more visual aids.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog Mayrita, I will take your suggestions into account.

      Eliminar
  4. Nico, your blog is such a great option to apply in the classroom. you have included the most important english verb tenses which is good to help students to practice grammar and speaking skill too. Keep going with that enthusiasm you will be a good teacher :3

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you very much for your comment Santy :).This motivates me to continue improving in everything I do.

      Eliminar
  5. Wow Nicole! I was amazed for all the information and strategies that you show in your blog because it is not only the information, all the topic is well structured and supported by several ideas and the content illustrated can be applied at the moment to teach in class. Furthermore, I would like to mention that the content, instructions and activities are easy to follow and apply to students such basic or advance level. It is really amazing. Thank you for clarifying my doubts about how to teach new vocabulary in my students.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. This is a very nice blog. Your students will be impressed. The information is well presented, it's understandable but you could add other tools to improve learning. Congratulations miss.

    ResponderEliminar